Home  |  Map of Union Security and Beck States  |  Frequently Asked Questions  |  Who We Are  |  Important Resources  |  Disclaimer of Liability

Frequently Asked Questions

If you feel that your rights have been violated by compulsory unionism, or have a question about your rights under a compulsory unionism arrangement you can request free legal aid from National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation.

I'm a member of a union, how do I get my money back?

On UnionRefund.org you can make your own choices about how your working dues are spent. If you think that your hard earned dues should be spent on collective bargaining alone and not on politics, campaigns or lobbying you are what is called a "Beck Objector" and you can get some of your dues back.

Where you live tells you how much money you can get back from your Union.

Do I need to "resign" from my union?

Yes, but here's the rest of the story.

Employees who eventually learn of their Beck rights and want to exercise them, are routinely required by their unions to resign and become “non-members.” Because the Supreme Court Beck decision did not address whether an employee can be required to resign from his union in order to exercise his or her rights, unions impose this condition to discourage their members from pursuing Beck opportunities.

So, yes, you technically resign in order to stop paying the "political portion" of your dues. However, since you continue to pay for the "representative" portion...your union continues to represent you on payroll, benefits and work conditions. Your pay, pension and benefits are NOT affected.

If you resign, the union would have to continue to represent you fairly and without discrimination in all matters subject to collective bargaining. You cannot be denied any benefits under the labor contract with your employer because of non-membership.

By resigning, you will not have the right to vote on ratification of the contract or election of union officers, and there may be benefits provided under the union's constitution and bylaws that are not available to nonmembers (however, a nonmember cannot be charged a share of the costs of member-only benefits or be fined for violating the union’s constitution or bylaws.)

Exercising your right to object to the union agenda does not mean you forfeit benefits such as health care, pension, step increases, etc.

Forcing a member to formally "resign" from your local union is an unnecessary union ploy designed to discourage, intimidate and scare member into NOT exercising their Beck rights. But it's a practical and logical way to make sure your union dues are not being used to fund political and civic activities you don't agree with.

How long do I have to exercise my Beck Rights after I become a non-member of my union?

You have thirty (30) days after your resignation to exercise your Beck Rights. If you do not exercise your rights within this time period you may do so during a specific "window" of time (generally once a year around the time your collective bargaining agreement is renewed).

Will I need to renew my objections?

Probably. Many unions will require you to renew your objection every year.

My contract says I cannot keep my job unless I am a 'member' of the union. Will I get fired for resigning?

No. When your contract uses the word member it also means "financial core" or "non-member." You will still be required to pay part of your dues being a "non-member" and this will not cause you to lose your job.

What is the difference between a Right to Work Vs. Union Security Clause State?

Getting part of your dues back is a "Beck Refund" To get your Beck refund, find out if you are a member of a Labor union. If you are a union member and you decide you want to get your Beck refund, you can choose to end your union membership. Beck means when you become a non- member of a Union, in either a right to work or union security clause state you have the right to get your union dues back. What you get back is determined by what kind of state you live in.

As a non-member in a Right to Work Sate you do not get your Beck Refund back; instead, as a non-member, you no longer have to pay any dues to your union at all. Twenty-Eight states allow union security clauses in your labor contract forcing you to pay union dues; therefore, you must pay those dues but of those dues the part that you “object to” paying you get back as your Beck refund. In the Twenty-Two Right to Work States you do not have to pay forced dues.In a Right to Work State you can resign from a union at anytime because it is what you want to do.

Click here to check out what kind of state you live in. Remember becoming a "non member" is essential to getting your full Beck refund back or ending all dues to your union depending on if you live in a Union Security Clause State vs. a Right to Work state.

What I expect from UnionRefund.org

As a Beck Objector you are saying no to paying the portion of your dues you would have to pay to your union for work done on lobbying, campaigns and politics. UnionRefund.org will give you an estimate of your full Beck refund based on your Beck objection to such union political spending. You will be able to fill out our Beck Refund letter based on our estimate and send it to your local union to get your money back.

When you send your Union Refund letter from this website you can expect the following to happen from your union:

1) The union must and will stop charging you dues for the political work you are objecting to as a "Beck objector."

2) The union will give you the percentage and basis for your Beck refund.

3) You can challenge the union's amount of your Beck refund based on what they say is political expense versus collective bargaining expense.

Find your union now from the drop down menu below and go to claiming your Beck refund.

Every union member in America is potentially owed hundreds of dollars from their union. Yet most don't know how to go about getting their hard earned money back. Let your friends and co-workers know that UnionRefund.org is here to help them get their money back today.
Your Name  
Your Email  
Friend's Name  
Friend's Email  

What People Are Saying About Union Dues

From Davenport v. Washington Ed. Assn.:

“Respondent’s improvident accounting practices do not render §760 unconstitutional. We note as well that, given current technology, it will not likely be burdensome for any nonmember who wishes to do so to provide affirmative authorization for use of his fees for electoral expenditures.” (footnote on page 8)

Copyright © 2015 UnionRefund.org, All Rights Reserved